IMIN LAW    Employment & Family Based Immigration


ILLINOIS: Chicago, Glenview, Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows, Wheeling, Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village, Bensenville, Skokie, Morton Grove, Niles, 

Streamwood, Palatine, Prospect Heights, Mount Prospect, Buffalo Grove, Hoffman Estates, Des Plaines, Norridge, Park Ridge, Lincolnwood,

Northbrook, Lincolnshire, Mundelein, Waukegan, Gurnee, Round Lake, Libertyville, Naperville, Orland Park, Oak Park, Evanston, Winnetka

TEXAS: Dallas, Flower Mound, Carrollton, Plano, Arlington, Addison, Farmers Branch, Richardson, Denton, Irving, Lewisville, Frisco,

McKinney, Coppell, Grapevine, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Allen, Garland, The Colony, Keller
​1505 LUNA RD, SUITE 260, CARROLLTON, TX, 75006  Tel: (972) 979-5077 |  Email:

Back to Top

Immigration lawyer: TEXAS AND ILLINOIS

​E-2, H-1B, R-1, E-1, L-1, O-1, J-1, I-601A, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3

H-1B Visas

1. When and where may I apply for H-1B status?

The USCIS fiscal year begins each year on October 1st. You may apply up to 6 months prior to the beginning of the next fiscal year. Therefore, you may start applying on April 1st to begin working by the following October 1st. Your employer must initially file a petition to USCIS and obtain approval whether you are changing status in the United States or filing for consular processing.

2. May I travel abroad in H-1B status?

If you file for consular processing and have an H-1B visa, you may travel on the visa as long as your visa is valid. Even after you file and receive a change of status to H-1B in the United States, you may later request consular processing for a visa to allow you to enter the United States after time spent abroad.

3. How long must I wait before receiving a decision on my application?

Normally, it will take at least 2-3 months to receive a decision from USCIS. There is also a premium process option where the petition will be adjudicated within 15 calendar days for an additional $1,225 premium process fee.

4. May I change employers?

Once you are in H-1B status you may change employers. Your new employer must file new petition on your behalf and  pay all the relevant filing fees on your behalf. Once your application is filed, you may begin working for your new  employer as long as there are no quota issues in your case.